When should I see a specialist about my asthma?

If your primary doctor has not been able to adequately control your asthma, you might want to consider seeing a specialist -- such as an allergist or immunologist. An allergist or immunologist specializes in treating not only allergies but also asthma and any other condition that is related to the immune system. These specialists have completed an additional 2 years of training in allergies and immunology and may be able to provide more specific advice on avoiding your allergens and treating your symptoms.

Take the RealAge Test!

You should see a specialist about your asthma, known as a pulmonologist, in any of the following situations:
  • Extra diagnostic testing is needed.
  • You require several controller medications.
  • You are not meeting goals of therapy in an allotted amount of time.
  • You have had several exacerbations in a certain time period.

Continue Learning about Asthma Treatment

A Guide to Asthma Controller Medications
A Guide to Asthma Controller Medications
Managing asthma requires a number of strategies, including controlling your exposure to triggers, monitoring your symptoms with a diary (and possibly ...
Read More
What are inhaled steroids for treating asthma?
Donna Hill Howes, RNDonna Hill Howes, RN
Inhaled corticosteroids are the most effective long-term control medications for persistent asthma. ...
More Answers
How is asthma treated?
Diana MeeksDiana Meeks
Asthma treatment options involves a two-tiered approach: preventing asthma attacks and stopping asth...
More Answers
How Can I Tell If My Asthma Treatment Is Working?
How Can I Tell If My Asthma Treatment Is Working?

Important: This content reflects information from various individuals and organizations and may offer alternative or opposing points of view. It should not be used for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. As always, you should consult with your healthcare provider about your specific health needs.